To ultimately be selected as an OB GYN resident, one must be prepared for the most competitive process in medicine. Your personal statement should not be an afterthought despite your overwhelming requirements and deadlines while sprinting to the finish line of securing a residency. When you are trying to accomplish perfect grades to secure a top position in your future career, your competition is fierce.
Why the OB GYN Profession?
Choosing a specialty in the broad field of medicine is a personal matter. Those who choose the OB GYN profession to want to specialize in treating female patients, often including a focus on reproductive health and pregnancy. As an OB GYN, you may function as a primary doctor for some patients. This means that OB GYNs routinely identify and treat certain other conditions specific to female anatomies, such as urinary tract infections, breast, and other cancers, hormonal disorders, and pelvic disorders. Women’s health is important to a healthy society, and OB GYNs are on the front lines of ensuring quality of life for female patients and for generations to come.
Facts About the OB GYN Field
Within the field of OB GYN medicine, there are four main subspecialties. While many OB GYNs choose at least one subspecialty to focus on, it is possible to become certified in multiple areas. Each subspecialty requires a separate certification exam administered by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ABOG). These four subspecialty areas are:
- Gynecologic Oncology: This specialty focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of patients with gynecologic cancer.
- Maternal/Fetal Medicine: Perhaps the best-known area within the field of gynecology, this specialty focuses on high-risk pregnancies and other fetal complications.
- Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility: This specialty focuses on diagnosing and treating patients with infertility issues related to the body’s endocrine system.
- Urogynecology/Reconstructive Pelvic Surgery: Although one of the least well-known of the four, this specialty focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the female urinary tract. This specialty includes knowledge of the most recent surgical interventions.
List of OB GYN residency programs and informational sites
The American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ACOG) website provides many valuable Residency resources including links to:
- Gyn/ONCO fellowships
- OB GYN Subspecialties
- OB GYN Residency Program Links for the United States
- Clickable map of OB GYN Residency Program Links for the US
- Residency Application Timeline
- How to Succeed in Your Ob GYN Clerkship
Here are a few schools that specialize as OB GYN teaching hospitals:
Organizations that Must be in Your OB GYN Personal Statement
The National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) is an organization that you should know if you want a career in the medical field. The organization exists to help medical students get into the best national teaching hospitals for their specialty. Run by a board of directors made up of program directors, medical school deans, hospital executives, and other representatives, the NRMP provides a matching program that can help both applicants and residency programs find each other. The national residency matching program provides a uniform time for both applicants and programs to make their training selections without pressure.
Another organization important to focus on is the AAMC. It’s a not-for-profit association involved in medical education. AAMC is dedicated to the progress of healthcare by focusing on innovative medical education and patient care. They also take part in developing cutting-edge, groundbreaking medical research. Adding information about the importance of an AAMC personal statement is a high-priority topic in writing a perfect OB GYN residency personal statement.
Also, take note of the ERAS program. With ERAS residency personal statement general surgery, the residency application is streamlined. Applicants are given the ability to deliver their application, including supporting materials, with confidence. ERAS provides a flexible solution to the residency application process. They offer a great resource for eras residency personal statement online. This site provides a multitude of general surgery personal statements for review. Medfools also provides samples of neurology residency personal statement on their website.
Tips for Matching the OB GYN Residency
At the most recent American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ACOG) Annual Meeting Residency Fair, an interesting discussion gave broad guidance for matching to a given OB GYN residency which is relevant to most selection committees:
- Do well on your USMLE, steps 1 and 2.
- Make interview day count.
- Show them you are a team player.
- Demonstrate your ability to communicate.
- Get a great letter of recommendation.
- If you do a sub-internship, work hard.
- Be yourself.
Watch your admission timeline
The admissions timeline is an important part of landing the OB GYN residency of your dreams. Take careful note of the following dates:
- August. Common application onset
- October. Application deadline for fall classes
- November. Late consideration for application
- December. Application for fall deadline
- Early February. Late consideration for application
- Late February. Admission decisions are posted
- Early March. FAFSA application deadline
- March and April. Admitted student activities
- May. Enrollment confirmation due
- June. Admission decisions posted/enrollment confirmations
How to Write a Winning OB GYN Residency Personal Statement?
Although there are many ideas on what makes a successful OB GYN residency personal statement, there are a few basic tips can help just about everyone. Whether you need OB GYN residency personal statements or neurology residency personal statements, it’s important to know all the information to include. According to med fellowship, the main features of an AAMC personal statement include:
- You must be very clear about the format and length of a personal statement. Do your research and read other OB GYN residency personal statement examples.
- Pay much attention towards the format of your personal statement. Choose among top-ranked personal statement themes in OB GYN residency applicants.
- The length of a personal statement should be more or less 4500 characters. This will become a page.
A suggested format for a personal statement for OB GYN residency:
- Brief description of your background, i.e., place of birth, life experiences that have influenced you
- Explanation of why you originally became interested in medicine
- Explanation of why you developed a specific interest in Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Discussion of what makes you unique as an individual and why those personality traits make you well suited for a career in Obstetrics and Gynecology. (For example, your experience as an athlete or musician provided you with firm discipline, a strong work ethic, and a commitment to teamwork.)
- If indicated, an explanation for suboptimal academic performance, e.g., serious illness, pregnancy, death of a family member
- If indicated, an explanation for unusual constraints in selection of a residency program, e.g., special geographical considerations, couples match, career opportunities for partner, special education needs of a child
- Discussion of your future plans – if known
- Preferred geographic location
- Private practice vs. academic medicine
- Interest in fellowship training
- Description of extracurricular activities: what you do to preserve balance in your life and remain “energized” for the study of medicine
Writing the Perfect OB GYN Residency Personal Statement
Your obstetrics and gynecology residency personal statement is of paramount importance to you, and we take that into consideration at all time. When it comes time to submit your residential personal statement, the hard part is taken by our experts. Let them take the burden of writing the personal statement for you. When you are ready to tackle that women’s health residency personal statements, we provide the expertise you need.
We have a proven step-by-step method to make your submission successful. First, submit the requirements you want us to fulfill. Next, show us a draft that you feel is relevant to your interests. We’ll assign a writer to you that is trained in the field you need help with. Communicate your thoughts and preferences to help your writer achieve your goals. Then, we have you review the draft for accuracy. There is no charge for revisions. We’ll keep working with you until we get it right. Here are a few reasons to choose our service:
- We give you 100% original documents, we guarantee no plagiarism
- We communicate with you directly
- Our approach is personalized and professional
- We focus on your goals
- We supply 24/7 access to expert writers
- Our writing is affordable for any budget
- We give extensive proofreading and grammar checks
If writing a residency personal statement seems too much to handle, we can offer an OB GYN residency personal statement writing help for you. We take charge in writing your paper or polishing what you have already written. We’re here to support you in every way to supply the highest quality residency personal statement.